Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Ode to Omaha

Somewhere in Middle America



Four years ago, I played Counting Crow's "Omaha" as I drove up 75 Highway to my new home in eastern Nebraska. Now as we prepare to set off on an exciting adventure on the East Coast-- half a country away, I'm feeling a little nostalgic.

We've had an amazing run ... blizzards, barbecues and bar-hopping adventures. We started our little family in Omaha, marrying in 2007. We rented our first house, added a dog to our bunch and made life long friends. While Omaha may have its downsides (cold weather), the people here have made it an amazing place to live.

We met our fellow medical school couples and built lasting friendships. My favorite memories include trips to Vincenzos happy hour, rooftop bbq's at the Lofts, Farmers Market Saturdays, Around the World Tours in the Old Market, wine at Cork and Bottle and trips to find delicious ice cream dishes at eCreamery or Ted and Wally's.

At CUMC, I have been fortunate to work with some of the most amazing women in the world - they are caring beyond belief, selfless, witty, fun and loving. I have been surrounded by love for 2 1/2 years and I will miss seeing their smiling faces every morning. As we walk down the hall together, most people say "Here comes trouble," and boy have we created some! From long lunches to loud laughter--we've had so much fun!

Erik and I have stuffed the U-Haul with items we've collected over the years, but we're leaving behind a little piece of ourselves. In Omaha, we've built a family of friends and four years of amazing memories.

I'll miss you all and will look forward to our visit back to O-town!

1 comment:

  1. Cheers to new adventures in Virginia chickie -- Vincenzos happy hour won't be the same without you guys :(

    ReplyDelete